Friday, July 30, 2010

Professor James Gordley Elected to the British Academy

Last year we discussed our academic heroes. I think I had not mentioned Professor James Gordley in my list, but I should have done so. As a private law scholar and professor working in the civilian tradition, I find Gordley´s work on the foundations of private law very inspiring. Most legal scholars working in the civilian tradition are, for example, unable to explain the doctrine of cause in contract law. So far, Gordley´s explanation is the only one I find clear and convincing - my students agree. Gordley´s "The Philosophical Origins of Modern Contract Doctrine" and "Foundations of Private Law" are impressive treatises on comparative private law. Congratulations!
See the mention at the British Academy website here

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Website Tracker